9.28.2007

A New Low in Design Inspiration

I just read an article about a new deal between KB Home (a residential construction company) and The Walt Disney Co. What exactly is the deal? Well, to quote the article, "KB Home will begin offering the Disney Home features early next year. Customers can choose from flooring, lighting, wall coverings and other products featuring Disney characters. "

ARE YOU SERIOUS? This is how a struggling builder chooses to help boost its bottom line? Do Americans really have such short attention spans that the offering of Disney decor will be a deciding factor in choosing a builder? "Gee honey, I don't think we can really afford to build a new home right now. But if we go with this company, you can get that Donald Duck wallpaper you've always wanted.... and I can have mouse ear sconces in my office! Maybe we should just take the plunge anyway! Let's call up KB right now!"

How about offering more sustainable products? How about pairing with design professionals who specialize in universal design, so that the homes will be safe for disabled and aging populations?

I shutter to think of the open houses associated with this movement. I supposed they'll be serving cotton candy and kool-aid at the welcome booth.

1 comment:

erinn said...

I agree with you. And I expect that we will see a lot more of those kinds of 'partnerships' as more and more homebuilders' profits start to slide. Great to bring it up!